Friday, March 29, 2013

Christy Came!

I've mentioned them before - those people that I consider my 'Always Friends'.

And this one time, last month, one of them super awesomely, and super randomly showed up on my doorstep.

It all started when my uber motivated friend Christy decided that in the year 2013 she was going to learn to do 25 new things. She asked for suggestions from friends and family of what they would like to teach her and she said that she would arrange travelling to the location as well as the cost of any supplies. I jokingly suggested she fly 3000km to Kamloops where I would gladly teach her to snowboard. And so she hopped on a plane and came.

You can read her story here.

It was great. Christy also teaches grade 5, so she taught a few fun classes for me, I observed her teaching skills, she watched me, I gave her a personal tour of Kamloops and then on my couch, over a bowl of rice krispy squares, we talked, and talked, and talked. Ten years of friendship, three years since we saw each other last. We talked. We talked about happy things, we discussed solutions to stressful things, we giggled, we reminiced, we laughed, she let me mourn and be angry and held my hand as I poured out the last few unhappy months. She was my friend and she came to me to learn, to have fun, to let me be sad, and to cheer me up. I have so much love for her and am so thankful for her role in my life story.

And then I taught her to snowboard. And she was actually impressively amazing, a natural. Really. But read her story to hear about it. I know that the snowboarding was the reason she came, but to me it was secondary. To me the important part was sharing a thing that I love, in a place that I love, and spending time with a person I love.

I love always friends.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You captured out time so beautifully!! Thanks again - it is one of those things I'll always remember in my life - remember that time when... :)
christy